Start with a Consultation
How Stump Grinding Works
1. The first step to stump grinding is to make sure the area is safe. We move any furniture, toys, lawn, equipment, or any other yard items that might be an obstacle. Then we remove any debris like twigs, rocks, or anything else near the stump. During stump grinding, the debris could damage the equipment or fly up and hit the operator or someone else.
2. Once the area is clear, we use a chainsaw to level the stump as close to the ground as possible. This step reduces the amount of grinding and makes the job more efficient.
3. After we level the stump, we begin to use the stump grinder. A stump grinder is a special machine with a strong rotating blade. We lower this blade onto the stump and move it side-to-side, then back and forth to cut through the wood. As it grinds, it demolishes the stump by cutting stump into small pieces, turning it into mulch.
4. We continue grinding until the stump is below ground level. Depending on the size of the tree stump, this could be about four to sixteen inches deep. The further it is below ground, the fewer problems it can cause for you above ground.
5. Once we grind the stump down, we clean the area. If you’d like, we can save the leftover wood pieces and use them as mulch for your yard or combine them into the soil for extra nutrients.
6. With the hole filled, your yard is ready to grow something new. We can add sod or grass seed over the top, or help you decide on something new to add to your yard.